Monday, January 20, 2014

Non-Fiction Reading Response: Upfront Magazine Article

The debate "Should Boys and Girls Be Taught Separately?" there are two sides to the issue. One being 'yes', single-sex education is effective, and the other being 'no', single-sex education is not effective. Both sides are based on research, surveys, and some bias. The debate was based on there being 400 co-ed public schools already offering single-sex education.

The 'yes side' is on how there are developmental differences in boys and girls, and how that can affect how they learn. So the way their brain works can depend on their gender, and studies have shown that attitudes on subjects and participation change when they are in a single-sex class. Some parents have also seen the changes. They say there are benefits to being taught this way. The 'no side' is on how the developmental differences aren't based on gender, but on the students themselves, because every kid is different. It counters that theories and studies of boys and girls working better in single-sex education, haven't been proven with evidence. Although there are biological differences, there is no need to separate their classrooms or teaching styles.

I noticed that the whole 'yes side' was based on research that this professor found. She strongly believes that boys and girls working separately has benefitted and will benefit just as much if there were more schools that offered these classes. She believes that their gender will change what they like or dislike, and how they act or react in class or in life itself, I'm guessing. And then I noticed that practically the whole 'no side' was countering things that the 'yes side' would claim. It talked about how there is no difference between boys and girls, and the way they act, because in the end they're all kids with different personalities. And then they counter it with a source of their own.

In conclusion, I think the 'yes side' could use a little less research, and a little more elaboration, while the 'no side' could use a little less countering. I also wonder, if the debate had continued on, how would the 'yes side' rebuke all of the 'no side's counter arguments? And who would win? In my opinion, I think boys and girls don't have to be taught separately, because, well I get taught in a school with both genders, and I think we get along pretty well. I think education performance isn't based on gender, but more on how dedicated one is in their work. I believe dedication is possible in all students, no matter their sex.

No comments:

Post a Comment